ICA regional hubs have been created in 2021 by the initiative of the ICA President-Elect-Select Noshir Contractor (Northwestern University, USA). With a dozen hubs around the world including St.Petersburg, Russia, ICA is moving towards the countries that had not been crucially involved to ICA activities before the hubs started.
In 2021, ICA Regional hub Russia conducted an event based on the idea of broadcasting pre-recorded sessions with simultaneous translation. In 2022, for May 27-30, we offer three types of activities for you to join:
1. MINI-CONFERENCE ON CUMULATIVE DELIBERATIONConducted in collaboration with CIMRES, the Center for International Media Research at SPbU
- a mini-conference on cumulative deliberation on May 28
- 16 livestreamed ICA sessions in English
- two interviews with top scholars on their new projects and work in progressa
The Zoom-based mini-conference 'Practices of cumulative deliberation'
will include both CIMRES presentations and interviews with ICA's leading scholars on their newest projects. The concept of cumulative deliberation has been suggested by Svetlana Bodrunova, CMSTW host, in 2021, and will be opened up for the hub audience at the conference parallel to the 72nd ICA Annual conference in Paris, France.CONFERENCE SCHEDULEMAY 2811 - 12.30, The panel on cumulative deliberation concepts
11.00 - Svetlana Bodrunova, 'The concept of cumulative deliberation'
11.20 - Kamilla Nigmatullina, Nikolay Rodossky 'User complaints and by-passing the media-power link in deliberation with authorities'
11.40 - Anna Smoliarova, 'Translational cumulative COVID-19 publics on Instagram'
12.00 - 12.30 - discussion (in Russian, for ICA Regional hub members)
12.30 - 13.00 - coffee break13.00 - 14.00, The panel on methods of research on cumulative deliberation
13.00 - Nikita Tarasov, 'Abstractive summarization for social media: The cases of Reddit and Twitter'
13.20 - Ivan Blekanov, Dmitry Nepiyushchikh, 'User geolocation enhancement for Twitter'
13.20 - 14.00 pm - The open discussion by CIMRES members and hub members on the research methods, Q&As2. LIVESTREAMED ICA SESSIONSAccess will be provided to the hub members via email request
A selection of ICA hybrid sessions have been offered for the Regional hub audience, among them:MAY 27
- 10:30 - 11:45 PANEL DISCUSSION Digital Feminism: Debates, Opportunities, and Struggles in a Changing World
- 10:30 - 11:45 PANEL DISCUSSION Decentering Journalism While Keeping Journalism Studies
- 15:00 - 16:15 PANEL DISCUSSION Big Data in Political Communication: Challenges in Computational Classification of Content, Communication, and Meaning
- 16:30 - 17:45 TOP PAPERS SESSION Top Papers in Organizational Communication Standard
- 9:00 - 10:15 PAPER PRESENTATIONS ExpliCATing Algorithms: How Users Understand Algorithms in Communication Technologies
- 10.30 - 11.25 PANEL DISCUSSION Participatory and Creative Research on Migration
- 10.30 - 11.25 PAPER PRESENTATIONS Media, Culture and Communication: Theories and Case Studies
- 15.00 - 17.15 PANEL DISCUSSION Affect/Emotion in the Reporting of Conflict
- 10.30 - 11.45 WORKSHOP: Digital Ethnography: Methods for Networked Worlds
- 15.00 - 16.15 SPECIAL PANEL Meet the Editors of ICA's Journals
- 16.30 - 17.45 TOP PAPERS SESSION Top Papers in Communication and Technology
- 18.00 - 19.15 WORKSHOP Discourses on Economic Inequality in Digital Media Ecologies: Towards a Research Agenda for the Next Five Years
! To register for the Closing Plenary, go here - after registration, you will receive the instructions on how to use the Cadmore system for webinars.3. INTERVIEWS WITH TOP WORLD COMMUNICATION SCHOLARSMAY 27 and 28
- 9.00 - 10.15 PAPER PRESENTATIONS Journalism as Profession
- 13.30 - 14.45 PANEL DISCUSSION Discourse Architectures: How Platforms Shape Voices Beyond the West
- 15.00 - 16.15 PAPER PRESENTATIONS Advances in Visual Communication and Virtual Reality
- 19.30 - 20.25 CLOSING PLENARY: One World (Wide Web), One Network?
:MAY 27, 5 pm Moscow Interview with Silvio Waisbord
(USA) on his idea of mob censorship
and the special issue in Digital Journalism
he is editing on this topicInterview with Claudia Mellado
(Chile) on her cross-national research on the roles of journalism on social media (time tbc)Please follow the updates on the CMSTW Telegram channel and the Facebook page!